The data shown on the snow forecast summary page, as well as each snow resort location page, has been adjusted from the basic weather model output to show better forecasts for the Australian Alps.
Each model has been adiabatically adjusted to show conditions for the top of the mountain (rather than a spot down in the valley). This gives a better interpretation of actual snow conditions on the higher slopes.
However, our snow resorts do span a lot of vertical terrain, so we include a 'snow level' to help show how much of the mountain is subject to snow (new for season 2023).
The Jane's Weather Consensus Forecas is the average of EURO (ECMWF), GFS (USA), GEM (Canada) and ACCESS (Australia) weather models for these elevations:
Mt Buller 1700m
Mt Hotham 1850m
Falls Creek 1750m
Mt Baw Baw 1550m
Mt Stirling 1700m
Mt Buffalo 1700m
Lake Mountain 1400m
Charlotte Pass 1850m
Selwyn (search for 'Cabramurra') 1550m
Ben Lomond 1500m
Mt Mawson 1250m
Mt Wellington 1250m
Dinner Plain 1550m
Hotham Airport (search for 'Reedy Creek Cobungra') 1300m
Mt Dandenong 600m
Mt Donna Buang 1250m
Mt Macedon (search for 'Macedon Ranges') 1000m
Mt William 1150m
Mt Kosciuszko 2200m
(see snow forecast summary for the links to each resort)
Free users can see the hour by hour Consensus for the first 5 days, with icon, temperature, wind, cloud and rain/snow.
Snow season subscribers (and all Founding Members, Premium and Business subscribers) can see:
- hour by hour for 10 days, with each model lined up side by side for comparison, along with access to each of these individual models output
- icon, temperature, feels like (wind chill), snow level, snow or rain amount, wind speed, gust and direction
- cloud, separated into low, mid and high level - low cloud is foggy cloud on ground at resort level (a high percentage of low cloud indicates low visibility)
- advanced snow forecasts - total daily snow from each individual model to fully understand the forecast
- alert notifications - snow forecasts and commentary delivered daily to your inbox so you never miss an update
Tip - select a resort as your favourite location and your daily super alert email will show hourly snow level too.
Snow Level: based on thickness 1000-500hPa (if you're familiar with model maps this is the infamous "540 line", calculated for all elevations hour by hour here)
Super alert email notifications show a summary of the hour by hour snow level, as well as the potential rain/snow (based on temperature). Emailed to you, but see it at any time by clicking the notifications bell.
Note: the snow level and temperature may not match as they have been calculated using two very different methods. Snow level is based on how warm or cold an entire column of air from sea level up to 5000m is, while temperature (and therefore rain or snow) is adjusted from readings in the valley. We supply both to give you all the information. Inversions and wind can be under represented with this method, but we are working on a solution.